At Terranova, we are passionate about God's Word and that includes memorizing it! This page is where we'll share various helpful articles and strategies related to this wonderful spiritual discipline!
BENEFITS OF SCRIPTURE MEMORY
- Greater knowledge of God by knowing His Word
- Worship (true theology results in heartfelt doxology)
- Ability to offer biblical counsel to others
- Wisdom from God's Word when making decisions
- Fuel to fight your fleshly desires, saying "no" to sin, "yes" to Him
- Truth that exposes the lies of the devil
- Skillful Bible Study as the Spirit reminds you of parallel passages
One of the greatest tools for memorization is meditation. Not only does it help you memorize when you have a better understanding of a passage, but this protects you from just cramming more verses into your mind without thinking about the truth and being transformed. Here is an enjoyable 8 step process for intentional meditation.
STRATEGY & TOOLS!
- A tremendous strategy from Dr. Andrew Davis to help in memorizing long passages of Scripture. This has been hugely helpful for Kyle.
- Here's an article on memorizing text verbatim.
- Pastor Kyle's favorite Scripture Memory app for his mobile devices is called FighterVerses. Click that link for info!
- Here's a great site that turns verses into songs and keeps them word-for-word from the ESV!
- Plug your passage into this tool and it shows you only the first letter of each word. This is a great way to review what you've memorized while making sure you stay word-for-word. Click here for the First Letter tool.
- Here's a plan to memorize the New Testament in five years.
- Could this be the easiest way to memorize Scripture?
- Pastor Kyle quotes 1 Peter (In the date box, scroll down to the message on June 20, 2010 and start at 13:38 if you prefer)
- The History of Redemption (Ronnie Smith, Austin Stone)
- John Piper quotes Philippians to his congregation.
- Merrit Sager, Graves Erskine, and Bethany Duggan quote Hebrews 11:1-23 (Don't think "cute", think "conviction".)
- A 2.5 year old recites Psalm 1 (Come on! You can do this!!)
- This article by Andy Naselli includes 14 Reasons to Memorize a Whole Book of the Bible and includes a video of him quoting all of 1 Corinthians to his church.